Denny's Home World

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Opera, an excellent web browser

Posted on 15:49 by Unknown

Years ago I was looking for the next best thing in browsers.

Internet Explorer sucked in my opinion, in many ways it still lives up to that classification.

Netscape was on it's way out...

So I installed several browsers at the time.

Opera, Firefox, and Kameleon.

I liked Opera back then, but it was buggy, and at the time, nothing held a candle to Firefox.

Well that was some time ago. No one ever even hears of Netscape as a browser choice anymore.

I don't like Firefox anymore. I think Firefox is getting too bloated and huge.

I miss the simplicity of old Firefox.

After installing CrunchBang, I noticed one of the options was Opera.

I had been using Google Chrome, which is better in my opinion than Firefox.

After installing Opera 11.62 for Linux, my favorite browser quickly changed.

Opera is nothing at all like old Opera, but in the best of ways.

Here is a screenshot of the new Opera:


Rock solid performance, speed, and a sleek design that offers a plethora of tools at your disposal without cluttering up the user interface, this is what I have wanted in a browser for a long time.

I also found the email client to be smooth as silk, which is amazing since it's a built in browser email client, and those have been iffy at best.

The only thing I tweaked was setting the junk mail so it wouldn't show up in the unread mail list, which was pretty effortless.

Here is what the Opera team has to say about their excellent product:

"Lightning fast

Make your web browsing faster. Loading pages and running web applications is really snappy. You can even speed up browsing on slow connections, with Opera Turbo.

Safe and secure

Reduce your exposure to threats. Your safety is ensured by industry leading security, Fraud and Malware Protection and a clear display of your security level.

Smart features

Use great features that make browsing faster and easier. Opera has more features built in than other browsers. You can also add even more with extensions."

(This quoted material is from the webpage http://www.opera.com/browser/)

If your interested in downloading Opera for yourself, you can get it here:
http://www.opera.com/download/

P.S. Several weeks after running Opera, and loving it, I did find a flaw.

Opera refuses to let me post and image to Blogger.

Blogger is very trustworthy, and it should be my decision as to whether I can post there or not.

This is proper etiquette in the software world, the user should always have the last say in something like this.

This is a problem for me, and may mean my no longer using Opera.

Here is the error I recieve:
"Information from this secure page will be submitted to a page that is not secure on www.blogger.com.

Submitting sensitive information is strongly discouraged."
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Duck Duck Go search engine
    I found this while wading knee deep in an Ubuntu forum. Duck Duck Go is a search engine designed to have the minimalistic look of google, bu...
  • Debian Switches to Xfce
    "Debian, the foundation upon which many Linux distributions, including Ubuntu, are based, is to switch to Xfce as its default desktop e...
  • 15 Web Alternatives to Popular Desktop Software
    I stumbled upon this in the most unlikely of places, StumbleUpon.com . All kidding aside, This article opened my eyes. I didn't realize ...
  • GIMP is no gimp!
    G.I.M.P. (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is an amazing piece of software. If you are interested in photo editing, artwork, advertisement or...
  • Windows Really Good Edition
    While rummaging through the internet, I found this quirky website:  http://www.deanliou.com/WinRG/WinRG2.htm If you miss the days of Win 95,...
  • Watchtower Library text is all squares with Wine
    If you are a Linux user like myself, and you use Wine to run the Watchtower Library, then you may get boxes instead of text. This can be eas...
  • IrfanView Image viewer and editor
    Irfanview is my favorite image editor and viewer because of it's speed of use (by user) and many many formats it can use. I also love th...
  • Clonezilla, the hard drive cloning tool
    Clonezilla  is a partition and disk imaging, or "cloning" program akin to Norton Ghost. I started digging into using something lik...
  • Openbox Rocks!
    When I fist installed and ran Openbox years ago, I thought it was way to simple for me. When you first start up Openbox, it's basically ...
  • Urukrama, your guide to Openbox
      I am forever not happy with my desktop. It seems I have to change it at least once a month. More often than not I find myself going back t...

Categories

  • 04
  • 12
  • IRC
  • Irssi
  • kernel
  • Menu
  • Ubuntu
  • update
  • upgrade
  • Whisker
  • XFCE
  • Xubuntu

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (44)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (9)
    • ►  August (2)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (2)
  • ▼  2012 (32)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ▼  May (3)
      • gPodder, a free podcast aggregator
      • Watchtower Library 2011 under Ubuntu 12.04
      • Opera, an excellent web browser
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  January (2)
  • ►  2011 (25)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  October (1)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (7)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (5)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2010 (14)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2009 (4)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  October (1)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile