Denny's Home World

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, 16 May 2012

gPodder, a free podcast aggregator

Posted on 06:48 by Unknown
gPodder is a free podcast aggregator for Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, Maemo and MeeGo.

I use it to get my 3 favorite podcasts, the Watchtower Study and Public issues, and the Awake! issues.

I enjoy listening to the audio versions. You can then get your studying done (to a degree) anywhere, via your mp3 player, radio, car radio, etc...

Here is what the author had to say about his product:

"gPodder manages your podcasts

gPodder downloads and manages free audio and video content ("podcasts") for you. Listen directly on your computer or on your mobile devices.

Available for Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, Mac OS X and mobile devices like the Nokia N810, N900 and N9.

Versions available:

Desktop    
CLI    
Maemo 4    
Maemo 5    
MeeGo 1.2

Highlights:

    Supports RSS, Atom, YouTube, Soundcloud, Vimeo and XSPF feeds
    Discover new content at our Podcast directory
    Synchronize between devices with full gpodder.net integration
    Easily customizable - support for user-defined hooks and plugins
    Open Source and Free Software (GPL v3 or later)"

*This information is from the website http://gpodder.org/

The podcasts I listen to can be found at http://www.jw.org/

To get to the podcasts section of JW.org, you click on the link "Subscribe to Podcast"

Here is a picture of that link:


I circled the link with red.

Once in the podcasts section, you first choose which language and publication you want the podcast for, i.e. the Awake in English looks like this:


Once you have chosen the language and publication you want, then you need to copy the link to the podcast you want. Their are only two choices, mp3 and aac. I would suggest mp3.

The link will look something like this:
http://www.jw.org/index.xjp?option=sFFZRQVNZNT&rln=E&rmn=g&rfm=mp3

Then open gPodder, click "Subscriptions" on the top left of the program, and then click  "Add podcast via URL". gPodder should already have the link you copied in the box there, so just click add.

Repeat this for any other publications or languages you want to receive.

gPodder will now download the newest versions of the publication(s) you have chosen for you everytime you start up gPodder and click "check for updates" (bottom left of gPodder).

*Special notice for slow internet users (dial up, very slow broadband)

I have to mention though, that people on dial up will most likely not be able to use this function. MP3 files are large, and it would take an hour or more to download just one of the 100 plus mp3 files that are required to listen to all three. Just the Watchtower Study edition would most likely take days of downloading time.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Duck Duck Go search engine
    I found this while wading knee deep in an Ubuntu forum. Duck Duck Go is a search engine designed to have the minimalistic look of google, bu...
  • Debian Switches to Xfce
    "Debian, the foundation upon which many Linux distributions, including Ubuntu, are based, is to switch to Xfce as its default desktop e...
  • 15 Web Alternatives to Popular Desktop Software
    I stumbled upon this in the most unlikely of places, StumbleUpon.com . All kidding aside, This article opened my eyes. I didn't realize ...
  • GIMP is no gimp!
    G.I.M.P. (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is an amazing piece of software. If you are interested in photo editing, artwork, advertisement or...
  • Windows Really Good Edition
    While rummaging through the internet, I found this quirky website:  http://www.deanliou.com/WinRG/WinRG2.htm If you miss the days of Win 95,...
  • Watchtower Library text is all squares with Wine
    If you are a Linux user like myself, and you use Wine to run the Watchtower Library, then you may get boxes instead of text. This can be eas...
  • IrfanView Image viewer and editor
    Irfanview is my favorite image editor and viewer because of it's speed of use (by user) and many many formats it can use. I also love th...
  • Clonezilla, the hard drive cloning tool
    Clonezilla  is a partition and disk imaging, or "cloning" program akin to Norton Ghost. I started digging into using something lik...
  • Openbox Rocks!
    When I fist installed and ran Openbox years ago, I thought it was way to simple for me. When you first start up Openbox, it's basically ...
  • Urukrama, your guide to Openbox
      I am forever not happy with my desktop. It seems I have to change it at least once a month. More often than not I find myself going back t...

Categories

  • 04
  • 12
  • IRC
  • Irssi
  • kernel
  • Menu
  • Ubuntu
  • update
  • upgrade
  • Whisker
  • XFCE
  • Xubuntu

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (44)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (9)
    • ►  August (2)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (2)
  • ▼  2012 (32)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ▼  May (3)
      • gPodder, a free podcast aggregator
      • Watchtower Library 2011 under Ubuntu 12.04
      • Opera, an excellent web browser
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  January (2)
  • ►  2011 (25)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  October (1)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (7)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (5)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2010 (14)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2009 (4)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  October (1)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile