Denny's Home World

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, 15 May 2013

KDE rocks again!

Posted on 07:33 by Unknown
Many years ago I was a strict KDE fan. I loved how functional it was.
That was in the KDE 2 and 3 days.

Then KDE got more and more buggy and slow, and I moved to Gnome 2 and all it's glory.

As I wrote in the preceding article about K3B, KDE apps in a non KDE environment used to be a very buggy and slow proposition.

When K3B didn't act slow and buggy, I started to wonder if KDE itself had gotten better.

Out of curiosity, I installed the bare minimum KDE package available for Ubuntu (kdebase-workspace) and kmixer (package name kmix) to try the environment out again.

I was pleasantly surprised at a rock solid and fast (in comparison to gnome 3 and unity) desktop environment.

I have to say now that KDE is my number 2 desktop environment choice. I still think nothing holds a candle to XFCE, in my opinion.

The few tweaks I made where setting up nm-applet as a startup app under the system settings, (otherwise I had no network manager visible) and changing the desktop theme to "oxygen" so it was easier to read the kde bottom bar.

I added kmixer (kmix) to the apps I installed because I had no volume control on the desktop without it.

I also could not stand the extra zero in the 12 hour clock, so I changed the format under system settings > locale > country/region & language > date & time tab > time format: pH:MM:SS AMPM.

The small p in pH:MM:SS AMPM does the trick.

This is my result:
Click picture to enlarge
I have no way of demonstrating the speed to you, but the base kde packages needed aren't very big, so if you are feeling adventurous give it a try.

I do want to mention that when installing the kdebase-workspace package, it will ask you if you want to use lightdm (ubuntu's default desktop manager) or the kde alternative. I stayed with lightdm and so far have had no issues.

If your Linux distribution does not have an easy way of installing KDE, or if you would just like more information, you can check out http://kde.org or the irc.freenode.org #kde irc channel.

If you don't have an IRC client, or you don't know how to use IRC, I have made a special browser link to the channel here: Freenode's KDE IRC Webchat
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Duck Duck Go search engine
    I found this while wading knee deep in an Ubuntu forum. Duck Duck Go is a search engine designed to have the minimalistic look of google, bu...
  • Debian Switches to Xfce
    "Debian, the foundation upon which many Linux distributions, including Ubuntu, are based, is to switch to Xfce as its default desktop e...
  • 15 Web Alternatives to Popular Desktop Software
    I stumbled upon this in the most unlikely of places, StumbleUpon.com . All kidding aside, This article opened my eyes. I didn't realize ...
  • GIMP is no gimp!
    G.I.M.P. (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is an amazing piece of software. If you are interested in photo editing, artwork, advertisement or...
  • Windows Really Good Edition
    While rummaging through the internet, I found this quirky website:  http://www.deanliou.com/WinRG/WinRG2.htm If you miss the days of Win 95,...
  • Watchtower Library text is all squares with Wine
    If you are a Linux user like myself, and you use Wine to run the Watchtower Library, then you may get boxes instead of text. This can be eas...
  • IrfanView Image viewer and editor
    Irfanview is my favorite image editor and viewer because of it's speed of use (by user) and many many formats it can use. I also love th...
  • Clonezilla, the hard drive cloning tool
    Clonezilla  is a partition and disk imaging, or "cloning" program akin to Norton Ghost. I started digging into using something lik...
  • Openbox Rocks!
    When I fist installed and ran Openbox years ago, I thought it was way to simple for me. When you first start up Openbox, it's basically ...
  • Urukrama, your guide to Openbox
      I am forever not happy with my desktop. It seems I have to change it at least once a month. More often than not I find myself going back t...

Categories

  • 04
  • 12
  • IRC
  • Irssi
  • kernel
  • Menu
  • Ubuntu
  • update
  • upgrade
  • Whisker
  • XFCE
  • Xubuntu

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (44)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (9)
    • ►  August (2)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ▼  May (2)
      • KDE rocks again!
      • K3B - The CD Kreator
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (2)
  • ►  2012 (32)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  January (2)
  • ►  2011 (25)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  October (1)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (7)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (5)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2010 (14)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2009 (4)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  October (1)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile