Denny's Home World

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 9 November 2012

LXMenuEditor, fast & small menu editor

Posted on 08:00 by Unknown

Earlier I wrote about adding CLI based apps to the menu using terminator terminal emulator.

For this task I usually use Alacarte, a menu editor made for Gnome.

In my search for everything with a smaller footprint, I came across an excellent menu editor for LXDE, XFCE and Gnome.

LXMenuEditor's tar file is only 78k in size. Fully extracted and installed it is only 222 kb.

So the first thing I like about it is that it downloads in a blink of an eye.

Secondly, unlike Alacarte, it has no dependencies other than Java, which I install on all of my daily use machines anyway.

And it runs faster than Alacarte in my opinion, and is solid as a rock in the version I tested, LXMenuEditor-20120515.

And it has a fairly straight forward, simple gui interface:

Click to enlarge picture

 LXMenuEditor's official SourceForge page is here:
http://lxmed.sourceforge.net/

They have very simple and easy to follow install instructions here:
http://lxmed.sourceforge.net/help.html

Check it out for yourself if your in the market for easy menu editing without the bloat of Alacarte!
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Duck Duck Go search engine
    I found this while wading knee deep in an Ubuntu forum. Duck Duck Go is a search engine designed to have the minimalistic look of google, bu...
  • Debian Switches to Xfce
    "Debian, the foundation upon which many Linux distributions, including Ubuntu, are based, is to switch to Xfce as its default desktop e...
  • 15 Web Alternatives to Popular Desktop Software
    I stumbled upon this in the most unlikely of places, StumbleUpon.com . All kidding aside, This article opened my eyes. I didn't realize ...
  • GIMP is no gimp!
    G.I.M.P. (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is an amazing piece of software. If you are interested in photo editing, artwork, advertisement or...
  • Windows Really Good Edition
    While rummaging through the internet, I found this quirky website:  http://www.deanliou.com/WinRG/WinRG2.htm If you miss the days of Win 95,...
  • Watchtower Library text is all squares with Wine
    If you are a Linux user like myself, and you use Wine to run the Watchtower Library, then you may get boxes instead of text. This can be eas...
  • IrfanView Image viewer and editor
    Irfanview is my favorite image editor and viewer because of it's speed of use (by user) and many many formats it can use. I also love th...
  • Clonezilla, the hard drive cloning tool
    Clonezilla  is a partition and disk imaging, or "cloning" program akin to Norton Ghost. I started digging into using something lik...
  • Openbox Rocks!
    When I fist installed and ran Openbox years ago, I thought it was way to simple for me. When you first start up Openbox, it's basically ...
  • Urukrama, your guide to Openbox
      I am forever not happy with my desktop. It seems I have to change it at least once a month. More often than not I find myself going back t...

Categories

  • 04
  • 12
  • IRC
  • Irssi
  • kernel
  • Menu
  • Ubuntu
  • update
  • upgrade
  • Whisker
  • XFCE
  • Xubuntu

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (44)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (9)
    • ►  August (2)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (2)
  • ▼  2012 (32)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ▼  November (2)
      • FBReader, an excellent epub/ebook reader
      • LXMenuEditor, fast & small menu editor
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  January (2)
  • ►  2011 (25)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  October (1)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (7)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (5)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2010 (14)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2009 (4)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  October (1)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile