Denny's Home World

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 27 January 2012

Moonlight in Firefox or Chrome on Ubuntu

Posted on 06:59 by Unknown


Moonlight is a Silverlight alternative available for Linux users from the fine people at Novell.

This How To is designed for use on Ubuntu 11.10 using either Firefox 9.0.1, or Chrome (Chromium) version 15.

First I installed libmono-wcf3.0-cil. If you use Synaptic or Ubuntu's Software Center, you can find this by either searching for mono or Moonlight.

You can also install this with apt-get by typing the command: sudo apt-get install libmono-wcf3.0-cil in your terminal window. (Control alt t, unless your using xfce.)

*** This section is for Firefox only ***

I installed a Firefox plugin called:

Disable Add-on Compatibility Checks 1.3
by Kris Maglione

Reinstates the extensions.checkCompatibility preference without respect to the current application version.

This is needed because technically the Moonlight plugin is not yet considered compatible with Firefox 9.0.1., as well as many other versions of Firefox.

I have never had a problem with Moonlight running in this fashion though.

Firefox will ask you if you trust these plugins. Say yes to continue, or this process won't work.

I have never had any problems with viruses or any other intrusions from these authors.

You can find "Disable Add-on Compatibility Checks 1.3" here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/checkcompatibility/?src=search

Once that is installed, then we want to install the Moonlight plugin.

*** This section is for both Firefox and Chrome ***

You can get Moonlight here: http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight/

Again Firefox asks if you trust the author, which in this case is Novell, who is very trustworthy.

Chrome will display a warning on the bottom of the page. You must allow the download for this process to work.

Once this is accomplished you will need to restart Firefox. Chrome should not need a restart.

If you want to test your newly installed Moonlight plugin, I suggest using this page:

http://www.bubblemark.com/

I suggest you use this test: Silverlight 3.0 (CLR, CacheMode="BitmapCache")

The reason I suggest that particular test is that your new Moonlight plugin should now handle Silverlight 3.0 extensions with ease, so this is a decent test for our new plugin.

If you see the balls floating, you are the proud owner of a functioning Moonlight plugin.

I hope this has been useful to you, if you have any questions, please feel free to email me at dennygoot@gmail.com.

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Duck Duck Go search engine
    I found this while wading knee deep in an Ubuntu forum. Duck Duck Go is a search engine designed to have the minimalistic look of google, bu...
  • Debian Switches to Xfce
    "Debian, the foundation upon which many Linux distributions, including Ubuntu, are based, is to switch to Xfce as its default desktop e...
  • 15 Web Alternatives to Popular Desktop Software
    I stumbled upon this in the most unlikely of places, StumbleUpon.com . All kidding aside, This article opened my eyes. I didn't realize ...
  • GIMP is no gimp!
    G.I.M.P. (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is an amazing piece of software. If you are interested in photo editing, artwork, advertisement or...
  • Windows Really Good Edition
    While rummaging through the internet, I found this quirky website:  http://www.deanliou.com/WinRG/WinRG2.htm If you miss the days of Win 95,...
  • Watchtower Library text is all squares with Wine
    If you are a Linux user like myself, and you use Wine to run the Watchtower Library, then you may get boxes instead of text. This can be eas...
  • IrfanView Image viewer and editor
    Irfanview is my favorite image editor and viewer because of it's speed of use (by user) and many many formats it can use. I also love th...
  • Clonezilla, the hard drive cloning tool
    Clonezilla  is a partition and disk imaging, or "cloning" program akin to Norton Ghost. I started digging into using something lik...
  • Openbox Rocks!
    When I fist installed and ran Openbox years ago, I thought it was way to simple for me. When you first start up Openbox, it's basically ...
  • Urukrama, your guide to Openbox
      I am forever not happy with my desktop. It seems I have to change it at least once a month. More often than not I find myself going back t...

Categories

  • 04
  • 12
  • IRC
  • Irssi
  • kernel
  • Menu
  • Ubuntu
  • update
  • upgrade
  • Whisker
  • XFCE
  • Xubuntu

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (44)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (9)
    • ►  August (2)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (2)
  • ▼  2012 (32)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ▼  January (2)
      • Moonlight in Firefox or Chrome on Ubuntu
      • Canonical's "Jumpstart"
  • ►  2011 (25)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  October (1)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (7)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (5)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2010 (14)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2009 (4)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  October (1)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile