Denny's Home World

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 10 February 2011

Watchtower Library 2010 in Ubuntu under Wine

Posted on 08:04 by Unknown


I am a Jehovah's Witness, and one of my interests is always in getting a digital publication offered by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania to run under Ubuntu, it is called the Watchtower Library.

As of the 2010 edition, the normal wine offered in the repositories of Ubuntu 10.10 (and earlier versions) is no longer sufficient to run the program.

In particular, it will always report an error, and then close, being non functional.

I figured out how to solve this problem, and thought it a good idea to help any other brothers and sisters out there that are a linux user and also like to use the Watchtower Library.

Here are the steps I took:

Open the Software Sources menu by going to Applications->Ubuntu Software Center, then selecting Edit->Software Sources. Choose the Other Software tab and click Add.
System->Administration->Software Sources->Other Software

* Some of you may not have the menu item "Software Sources", to gain access to the area I mention here, you can find the same area for entry under System-Administration-Synaptic Package Manager. Once in Synaptic, click on settings, then repositories, and you will have the same menu mentioned above.

Then, copy and paste the line below into the APT Line: area.
ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa

Then click the "add source" button. it is below the APT Line: area on the same window.

Once Ubuntu reloads the new repositories, click this link:
"click this link to install the wine1.3 package."

This link is found on this webpage:
http://www.winehq.org/download/deb

Once this process is complete, if you have already installed Watchtower Library 2010, it should now just work without the error.

I hope my little how to on this problem was helpful.

Most of this information is available at 'Wine HQ' under downloads, and then Ubuntu. I did some small editing in order to be as clear as possible.

Also, this was not intended to in any way encroach upon the rights of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, this information is released solely as a remedy to a technical issue with Wine 1.2 or earlier releases and the Watchtower Library, edition 2010.

(P.S. Some people might find that once the library is running all the letters are blocks. This can be fixed by pressing F2, or by going to the Library option on the top left, and then under the text tab choosing another font category or type, i.e. browser text, printer text, etc for category, or arial, freesans, comic sans, etc in the font type.)

This fix may be undone by system updates, or upgrades. Just follow the steps again to repair the non functioning Watchtower Library.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Duck Duck Go search engine
    I found this while wading knee deep in an Ubuntu forum. Duck Duck Go is a search engine designed to have the minimalistic look of google, bu...
  • Debian Switches to Xfce
    "Debian, the foundation upon which many Linux distributions, including Ubuntu, are based, is to switch to Xfce as its default desktop e...
  • 15 Web Alternatives to Popular Desktop Software
    I stumbled upon this in the most unlikely of places, StumbleUpon.com . All kidding aside, This article opened my eyes. I didn't realize ...
  • GIMP is no gimp!
    G.I.M.P. (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is an amazing piece of software. If you are interested in photo editing, artwork, advertisement or...
  • Windows Really Good Edition
    While rummaging through the internet, I found this quirky website:  http://www.deanliou.com/WinRG/WinRG2.htm If you miss the days of Win 95,...
  • Watchtower Library text is all squares with Wine
    If you are a Linux user like myself, and you use Wine to run the Watchtower Library, then you may get boxes instead of text. This can be eas...
  • IrfanView Image viewer and editor
    Irfanview is my favorite image editor and viewer because of it's speed of use (by user) and many many formats it can use. I also love th...
  • Clonezilla, the hard drive cloning tool
    Clonezilla  is a partition and disk imaging, or "cloning" program akin to Norton Ghost. I started digging into using something lik...
  • Openbox Rocks!
    When I fist installed and ran Openbox years ago, I thought it was way to simple for me. When you first start up Openbox, it's basically ...
  • Urukrama, your guide to Openbox
      I am forever not happy with my desktop. It seems I have to change it at least once a month. More often than not I find myself going back t...

Categories

  • 04
  • 12
  • IRC
  • Irssi
  • kernel
  • Menu
  • Ubuntu
  • update
  • upgrade
  • Whisker
  • XFCE
  • Xubuntu

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (44)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (9)
    • ►  August (2)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (2)
  • ►  2012 (32)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  January (2)
  • ▼  2011 (25)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  October (1)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (7)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ▼  February (5)
      • Removing Facebook Apps
      • Kompozer your website
      • OSDisc may I have some more?
      • Watchtower Library 2010 in Ubuntu under Wine
      • INX ...is not X!
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2010 (14)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2009 (4)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  October (1)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile